Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Color Palette

As I sat in this crowded ball room housing a gas conference, I was surrounded by a sea of black n whites, the occasional blue and greys. Corporate clothing coupled with the technical jargon of speakers can be an ideal lullaby most would say. However, a few minutes past noon, a mere two hours late, entered a whiff of fresh air.

The lady, dressed in a bright red n blue saree with gold patterns, matching gold bangles and a not so matching yet equally bright silver bag, smelt strongly of strong perfume. Instantly, sleep was a thing of the past. As she sat next to me, I smirked, assured in my blacks. ‘Where did she think she was coming????’

I ignored her for a major part of the day until after lunch, when we finally struck up a conversation. Manager of a leading company, she was humble, patient enough to answer my sometimes really silly questions about her company. Hell, I’ve been using her office as a landmark for over a decade now and didn’t even know they were a manufacturing company! N still, it was me who smirked. The lady was surely a lot more than the color palette I had initially classified her as.

Its amazing how quickly we classify things and people. She looked to me, to use the colloquial expression, a mother of two - the kind that prepares breakfast and packs tiffins and rushes her kids off to school before donning her Sunday best and setting out to a conference representing her company. Well, in that case, listen up kiddos! You’re blessed! Mumma’s this pretty... successful... adorable sweetheart (read motherly) who people look up to.

Today, inspired, I set out in color myself ;)