Monday, December 13, 2010

Pug? Birds? Naah..... Rabbit!



I’m innocent. All I wanted was a pug... to follow me everywhere once I was back, to look at me with its screwed up little face, innocent eyes... loving eyes. But people told me I couldn’t act so selfish. I couldn’t deprive it of potential company and love and care. So I was forced to act in consideration of a creature I hadn’t even set eyes upon.

Loved ones can sense your disappointment. I soon found myself flooded with suggestions. Cuckoo bird with with her term wise solutions, Garfield with his kitten, Kumbhu baby with his parrot in a cage, blue eyed sweetheart with love birds ;) then cuckoo bird with love birds without a cage :o spring 1 with ducks :o :o someone with piglets but then spring 2 has already got me one ;) spring 1 with tortoise (spring 1 come on!!!) blue eyed sweetheart’s sweetheart reminded me of PETA (thank you!), dramatic lotus with gunea pigs (ppl size does matter!!). Finally came the most far fetched suggestion.

Kumbhu baby: ‘how about a rabbit??? Soft to touch, pink upraised ears, it’ll hop around you, follow you everywhere, sit with you on a table with a carrot in hand and chew. It is also accustomed to living in a cage without much company. You’ll be all it needs, apart from carrots of course.’

It sounded ridiculous then n it sounds ridiculous now. But then you haven’t seen this rabbit I set eyes upon. It wasn’t a baby rabbit. It looked older, wiser. N when it looked at me, I thought I could take it home. I visited the store every day. I smiled, I laughed. It hopped around me nibbling on the carrots I took along. For those moments, I forgot we were at a pet store with people around. Potential buyers eyed us with envy. But we were in our own world. For those moments, I was happy.. ecstatic.. I was at home. When not there, I would invariably end up thinking I should perhaps get it.

You know how these decisions are. Kinda irrevocable. If you can act with consideration towards an unknown creature, how could you not think about one you’ d grown so attached to? Would I not change my mind in future? Did I really need it?Could I really need it?

Doubts vanished everytime I walked into the store and I decided to let it remain that way. Blissful it was, but unless I made up my mind, it was also transitory. Not that I didn’t realise so at the start. That day, as I walked in with the usual carrot in hand, I saw it nibbling on another carrot, someone else’s carrot.

Its not sold yet but there are other carrots in its cage now. Who brings these? I ask myself. I haven’t seen them. I don’t know what this means. I know what it might mean though. What I also know is that each time I walk into the store, it comes hopping towards me as if nothings changed. Perhaps it hasn't. For those moments I'm happy... ecstatic... at home again. Only that now I suddenly want it more than ever.. like crazy bad!

Or do I?

I’m innocent Kumbhu baby. You suggested I get a rabbit. Now i’m addicted to the notion..